Lourdes Health is recognized among America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Spine Surgery and received the Orthopedic Surgery Excellence Award, according to a national study by Healthgrades, the leading online resource for information about physicians and hospitals.
This achievement is part of findings released in Healthgrades 2020 Report to the Nation. This new report demonstrates the importance of hospital quality to both hospital leaders and consumers, and recognizes Lourdes Health’s commitment to quality patient outcomes with the most Orthopedics awards and achievements of any hospital in the state of Washington:
• America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Spine Surgery™ in 2020
• Orthopedic Surgery Excellence Award™ for 5 Years in a Row (2016-2020)
o Top 10% in the Nation for Overall Orthopedic Services for 5 Years in a Row (2016-2020)
• Spine Surgery Excellence Award™ in 2020
o Top 5% in the Nation for Spine Surgery in 2020
• 5-Star for Total Hip Replacement for 5 Years in a Row (2016-2020)
• 5-Star for Hip Fracture Treatment for 5 Years in a Row (2016-2020)
• 5-Star for Back Surgery for 2 Years in a Row (2019-2020)
• 5-Star for Spinal Fusion Surgery in 2020
Variation in hospital quality can have a significant impact on the quality of care a patient receives. Healthgrades compared 2020 Award Recipient Hospitals as a group, to all other hospitals, & found that, on average:
• Patients have a 74.2% lower risk of complication if treated at hospitals that received the 5-Star for Total Hip Replacement, versus hospitals that received a 1-Star Rating.
• Patients have a 78.2% lower risk of complication if treated at hospitals that received the 5-Star for Back Surgery, versus hospitals that received a 1-Star Rating.
• Patients have a 41.7% lower risk of complication if treated at hospitals that received America’s 100 Best for Spine Surgery™, versus hospitals that did not receive the award.*
Patients have a 37.7% lower risk of complication if treated at hospitals that received Orthopedic Surgery Excellence Award™, versus hospitals that did not receive the award.*
• Patients have a 46.6% lower risk of complication if treated at hospitals that received the 5-Star for Hip Fracture Treatment, versus hospitals that received a 1-Star Rating.
“As consumers navigate their health, it is important to consider a number of factors, including hospital quality, before deciding where to access care,” said Brad Bowman, MD, Chief Medical Officer at Healthgrades. “Healthgrades’ America’s 100 Best for Spine Surgery recognizes those hospitals that have proven their dedication to quality care and exceptional outcomes over time and we applaud their efforts and achievement.”
“We could not be prouder of the Lourdes surgical team and our orthopedic partners who’ve made it possible for Lourdes to receive this kind of recognition, not just once or twice, but for five years running!” shared Rob Monical, Lourdes Health CEO. “We are always looking for ways to make our patients orthopedic experience even better. This year we’ve added a robot assisted platform for spinal procedures,” said Monical. “Next year we’re shooting for “nation’s best” in orthopedics.”
Lourdes Health was also named the only hospital in Eastern WA** to receive a 5-Star Rating in Appendectomy. Only 4 hospitals in the state of Washington received this achievement.
Every year, Healthgrades evaluates hospital performance at nearly 4,500 hospitals nationwide for 32 of the most common inpatient procedures and conditions using Medicare data, and outcomes in appendectomy and bariatric surgery using all-payer data provided by 15 states.
For its analysis, Healthgrades evaluated approximately 45 million Medicare inpatient records for nearly 4,500 short-term acute care hospitals nationwide to assess hospital performance in 32 common conditions and procedures, and evaluated outcomes in appendectomy and bariatric surgery using all-payer data provided by 15 states.
The Healthgrades 2020 Report to the Nation and detailed study methodology, can be found at https://partners.healthgrades.com/healthgrades-quality-solutions/healthgrades-quality-awards/
Email your press release and a photo to Austin Regimbal, Marketing & Communications Director. Press releases are posted in their entirety. This is a free benefit for members of the Tri-City Regional Chamber.